Monday, December 26, 2011

My Rules To Live By

Recently I was out to lunch with a friend, and as I listened to the things this friend said, I realized that I needed to listen closer. I needed to hear the things that were not being said.
As I listened, I picked up on the emotion, the tension, the struggle, the need. I couldn't help but feel the need to touch this friend, to ease the hurt, to make it better. But sometimes we are not the one that needs to FIX the issues.

Here is what I shared with my friend, what I have shared with my kids, what I try to live by:

1. Be in charge of your life. No one is going to look out for you like you should look out for yourself.
 
2.  Protect yourself. Make sure your needs are met. Be a priority, invest in your self.
     Have a plan, know what you want, know what you will do if it falls through, know what you will do
     when this ride is over. Know what direction you will be headed in when you are ready to say "Next".
     (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to be selfish, but just like on the air plain, you put the oxygen
     mask on first. If you are not breathing you can't be there to help anyone else.)

3. Have fun! Enjoy the journey. Let each experience be a learning moment. (If it was a worthy learning    
    moment, Repeat! If not.... avoid in the future. But Don't Dwell on the negative, chalk it up to a learning
    experience and Move On!)

No comments:

Post a Comment