Friday, December 30, 2011

Crown King Arizona


Since I was a little girl I always loved to view the canyon at Sun Set Point. As you stand on the edge of the canyon the mountains seem to go on forever.
Yesterday, Mr Biology took me on an Arizona Adventure. I didn't know our destination when we left, and when he told me, to be honest, I had NO idea where it was or how to get there. He turned off the highway shortly after Bullhead City. The paved road ended about a mile in. The weather was great, cool, not cold. I hadn't been on a dirt road in longer than I could remember. I was surprised that there were lots of others on this dirt road too; four wheeling, dirt toys. As we drove I was struck with the realization that the Arizona desert is so beautiful. Maybe it's because I grew up here, or that I see it all the time, or perhaps its because I long for the green of Kentucky, but I had forgotten that my surroundings are amazing.
There is a stretch of Arizona  highway called "Bumblebee High Way", as we drove through the canyon we came upon a really well kept cluster of homes and ranches. The sign that preceded them read: Bumble Bee Arizona, population 19. Who knew??? Not me!
Mr Biology had explained that we would be traveling only about 35 miles in, but that we would be going through all the elevation and terrain changes. The drive was leisurely, the conversation was fun. I loved the view! We drove the length of the canyon, the same canyon I had viewed for years from Sun Set Point!
We crossed one lane bridges, and passed homes that looked far too well kept to literally be out in the middle of no where. Then we drove through a...well I guess you would call it a town, I'm not sure, but there was a bar! We both had a good laugh. Nothing out there....but a bar!
Our dirt road took us back and forth through switch backs. I watched the elevation and terrain change. The temperature began to drop. And as we came around the far side of one of the mountains, there was snow! The road took us into pine trees and chilly wind. The temperature during the days had been in the sixties, so the snow was melting, making the road very muddy! I loved it all!
The little town of Crown King was a gold mining town once upon a time. But as Mr Biology said, the mining must not have been very profitable or the road would have been paved! In the heart of the town, there is a church, a general store, a curio shop and a saloon! So small we actually drove past it! The area is dotted with cabins, and even though it is very rocky, I can see the charm and lure to want to spend time there.
As we headed back down the mountain, I must admit I didn't want to go. I think I would have liked to have stayed in one of those cute little stone cabins. (as long as it had heat) We drove down out of the higher elevation and pulled off into a clearing. We had lunch and chatted about how if pioneering had been left up to us, we would have never made the move. So much frontier, so much to over come, so many huge rocks! I am grateful some one was willing to do it. I am grateful that roads are put in place and kept up. However, driving on those washboard dirt roads was fun yesterday, I don't think I would like it everyday! I truly did loved how everyone that we drove past waved. I guess this wide open space, really is just someones neighborhood. And although I only saw three cows, a rabbit and a few birds, I loved the thought that this is still wild country.
As the view of the highway and the sounds of civilization came into the ear shot, I was very sad to leave.



I can't tell you how awesome it was for me, to not only see, but to be in the view I had looked at so many times since I was a girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment