Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Listening to our feelings

Feelings, I believe, are your spirit communicating with the physical, worldly side of us. 
Like when you get an uncomfortable feeling around someone, or a peaceful feeling in a sacred place. 
The way we get emotional over things that are so important to us. 
I taught my youngest to listen to what her spirit is saying to her. About a year ago we had gone to a hardware store. As we were parking, a couple of men parked next to her side of the car. They were rough and scary looking. She was afraid to get near them. She kept her eyes on me and hesitated. I motioned for her to come to me, and I smiled and walked to her. We talked about how she felt and what it told her. Then as we were walking through the store, we walked past a family. The family was sweet and warm, and happy. I asked my daughter how that family made her feel. We talked about the difference in feelings and what the feelings told her. We talked about how we need to learn to listen to the feelings we get. How we need to learn to react to the feelings and not take time to analyze. Because those feelings we get can save us from disaster. 
I believe we need to learn to listen to the feelings, they will help us along our path. 
I remember as a teen I would get this feeling when I went to certain peoples homes.(I baby sat at these homes in high school.) It was a feeling I had never felt before. After a while, I came to realize that the feeling was HOME. I hadn't felt that feeling of belonging, love, peace, and happy before that. Where you could be yourself, where you were welcome and you are wanted. I got a glimpse of this feeling every now and then. When I moved in with my foster family, I was immersed in this feeling. And I flourished. But the next stage in my life, I searched for that feeling again. Every so often I would get a fast and fleeting feeling that reminded me. But I longed to have it all the time. 
I can say now that I have acquired that feeling all the time. Not only is it in my home, but it is in me. I am happy where I am, with who I am. I am listening to what I feel and what is around me. I know that I need to listen to my feelings when it comes to the people I am putting in my life and how they make me feel. Do I have all the things I have wanted, or that I think I need? No, but for the first time in my life, I think I am truly happy. Life feels right.
The other day my son said, "Mom, it doesn't matter where we are, when we are together it feels like home."
I agree! 

No comments:

Post a Comment