Friday, October 14, 2011

Facing Your Challenges Head On

Sometimes we are faced with things we have no choice in. So we take care of them. They give us experience and confidence for the next challenge along the path. As teens we start to take on these encounters with life. As parents we watch and pray, guide and nudge. As adults we breath deeply and take that step on our own. These are life lessons.... part of "Life 101".
But I think it takes something more to face our weaknesses and personal challenges in the same manner. I have listened to a couple of people in the last week, tell their story of facing, head on, their own personal short comings.
I was amazed and in awe at the level they went to, the steps they took, to overcome their handicaps. I was so very impressed. The desire to overcome, to improve, to move past and start enjoying was so powerful, that they moved their mountain.
One of these people told me of his fear of heights. How he had felt he had no personal control over this area in his life. So he went sky diving. Not only did he do this horrifying thing, but he repeated it numerous times. Each time there was an issue, making this scary event so much more terrifying to him. Yet, the desire was there to be in control of this area of his self confidence. He said that each time was still scary, but he grew less afraid and more self confident. The process took him a few years. But once he reached the point that  he could truly laugh as he jumped, he no longer felt like out of control or like tempting fate any longer. He is an old man now and has a tough time going up a ladder because he now has vertigo. Ironic I suppose. I was very impressed with his story. He was delightful!
The other story is very different, I think I listened to it with my jaw hanging open. Again, steps were taken to improve self, conquer weaknesses, face fears. After listening to this story it made me take a good look at self improvement and desire to have confidence in every aspect in my own life. I believe both these people were put in my life for such a brief periods to teach me this, to inspire me. I am grateful!
Taking charge of your life starts with the desire to improve. I think there is freedom in that.
(If you want to know the rest of the second story you will have to ask me. It's not G-Rated, so I'm not blogging it, but wahoo, What An Adventure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment