Monday, February 19, 2018

The Ohio River

The first time I crossed the Ohio River I was glad I was the passenger and not the driver that morning. I had never crossed a river that was so large, and never one with so much water flowing beneath the bridge. I was awestruck by the river, the bridges and the green woods that were everything.
The following year when I crossed that river every day on my way to and from work, I was still in awe of it. The first winter I was in the Tri-State, I learned about Ohio River Flooding. I have learned that it happens every year. As the girl from the Valley of The Sun, the reality of this river flooding made no sense. Then I watched as the river overflow its borders. It can crest at up to 44 feet. The water keeps going and going. I now live two miles from the edge of the Ohio River. And watching all that water creep over the mile of bottomland is still horrific to me. There is so much water, where it isn't supposed to be. It displaces all the wildlife within the area. Which in turn plays havoc with the traffic.
I have a strong respect and love for nature. I love to watch the river even though it scares me more than a little.








No comments:

Post a Comment