Monday, September 27, 2021

SAUCE

 Tonight, I enjoyed a calzone and sauce. The calzone was very good, full of ricotta and parm. But the little pot of sauce…that was the amazing. The hearty, thick, robust plum tomatoes, so pungent and acidic, savory. The oregano, the rosemary, the onion and the garlic. So much garlic. The smell is intoxicating, it took me back to my childhood. It reminds me of my grandmother. Of the large shallow cast iron pot, she made meat balls in, then covered them in sauce. She let them simmer for what seemed like forever to her granddaughter. Then in the last half hour she would add hard boiled eggs to the sauce. After an eternity grandma would fix a bowl for my brother and me, of bread and a hardboiled egg, covered in sauce. The meatballs were for pasta, later. But those bowls she fixed her grandchildren were pure Heaven. The smell was just like this tiny pot of sauce. I sure miss my grandma. 



No comments:

Post a Comment