Thursday, April 20, 2023

VALUE

VALUE: the regard that something is to, the importance, worth or usefulness

Value is individual. We all have the same ability to gage the value of a thing. We can value every object objectively; our smart phone, water heater, sport socks or hand soap. Our preference to every item plays a part in how we value things. 
We also judge the value of others. We personally set a value of worth on those around us, on those in politics, on those who we may not even know. 
Companies may increase the value of their product by increasing the products quality. And in turn it may become more valuable to the consumer. But if the price is too high it may not earn the value of its worth to all people. The need plays a huge part in individual value as well. Such as… there is a small, red, farm tractor for sale. I drive past it daily. The sign says $3000.00 and in my head I wonder “Is that a good price for an old, used, little farm tractor? Is it worth that?
 It’s red. 
That should hold no baring on my value of this tractor, but it does. If it were orange or green I probably wouldn’t have acknowledged it’s presence. I do not have a need for a tractor, even one so small. 
Yet I have a thing for old red tractors. So in my head, not knowing the working order of this small, red, old tractor, I thought “$3000 for that cute tractor, I would pay that.”
I won’t of course, 
but that tractors value seemed fair to me. Because it appeals to me. So I took it at face value. 
If I was in the market for a small red tractor I would be more incline to kick the tires and weigh its value on more durable qualifiers. Red and cute would play far less a part in my value process. 

I hope I am a better judge of value when it comes to those individuals I choose to have in my life. I hope my scale of weight is far more balanced on the important traits that make up the individual.  I hope I am not just charmed by their old red tractor like charm. 
I hope I value them for their true worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment