Tuesday, April 12, 2022

WATCHING HEARTBREAK

 I got a call at the office today, different than any other I have ever had. One I hope I never get again. I answered as I always do, the voice on the other end was panicking and sobbing. She told me that her husband was on his way into my office. She told me, in choked words that his brother was in the hospital and that he is dying. Sobbing. She asked me to please have her husband call her as soon as he arrived. 

I shared the information with my coworker that he was coming to see. We both watched for his arrival. 

He is a favorite client, he is in our office often. He is happy and fun. But today, we watched him go through stages of shock and confusion. There were far too many people in the office for the information we watched him receive. 

As he hung up the phone, we helped usher him out of the office. He tried to explain what he had happened, we already knew. He tried to give instructions for what he has come to see us for, we assured him we would take care of all of it, that he could just go. We asked if he wanted someone to drive him, but he did not. He was on his way. And our hearts hurt for him. 

A very sad thing to watch, to witness someone’s world be altered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment