Wednesday, April 27, 2022

EXPLORATION OF COLOR

 In the Midwest, I have the privilege to witness the changing of the seasons. Unlike living in the Desert-Southwest, where the seasons are so mildly different, sometimes they go unnoticed. The Midwest puts on a show in every season. If you were to ask me what season is my favorite, I honestly couldn’t tell you. Why limit yourself to a favorite when there are so many things to love about each. 

It’s Spring right now, and man oh man has it sprung. We had three days of warm weather (this Phoenician says there is no reason to rush the heat) and the growing things all exploded. Last week on Wednesday the tree in my front yard had three inch seed pods that literally seemed to grow overnight. But add a weekend of weather in the 80’s and all the trees are covered in an explosion of green. And it’s that new spring green; vibrant and almost neon. I know the leaves will deepen as the season continues, but this ‘spring is here’ green is awesome. The crepe myrtle bush that we pruned in early spring is now covered in leaves. I love this bush, it has amazingly pink flowers when it blooms. The tree in my backyard has bright pink flowers covering it, it’s breathtaking. And when it sadly drops it’s flowers to exchange then for green leaves, the locust trees will be covered in brilliant white flowers. The flowers don’t stay nearly as long as I would like, but when the locust blooms drop, my yard once again is covered in white. It looks like snow, but it’s just flower petals. My irises are just about ready to bloom (they are my favorites). And the hostas, pansies, snap dragons and other plants in my yard are looking lovely. Although my lawn is more creeping charly and crabgrass than actual grass, it is lovely. And I love the tiny violets and other minuscule flowers that grow there…even if the native inhabitants here call them weeds. I like to refer to them as wild flowers! Along my path to work there are fields of yellow flowers, that are turning into fields of wild wishes. There is one stretch or road that I love to drive, that is covered by a canopy of trees. Currently they are all turning green and fluffy, it’s truly an enchanting spot. 

As a child in Sunday school, we sang “ … I looked out the window and what did I see? Popcorn popping on the apricot tree…” I am not sure I have ever seen an apricot tree, and as I child growing up in Phoenix, I truly had no clue what that was really like. But living in the Midwest in the spring is truly a wonder to all the senses and an explosive popping of life. 













No comments:

Post a Comment