Sunday, October 10, 2021

LIFE LESSONS

 Several year ago, at one of the forks in my life, someone suggested I take an online test that would help me find the right path. In my head I was thinking high school placement and future career path… but that’s not what this was at all. It was part interpersonal, part dig deep into yourself and part spiritual. And when all the questions were answered, I learned something new about me. 

See I thought I knew me, and what my strengths were. I taught classes in the past, led the youth for years, ran a couple businesses profitably, and had good hobbies. 

What I learned, is that one of my strongest qualities is listening to others. Next came building other peoples self esteem. 

I didn’t know this about myself. But it is true. I enjoy listening. And everyone likes to talk about themselves  and their life, so there is always an opportunity. Truly listening let’s others know they are heard, and that makes them feel included, validated and cared for. 

I like to find things to share with others that make them feel good, about themselves or a part of their life. It comes naturally if you just listen. 

Over the years I have made sure to listen to and build those in my life and those that cross my path. I think it has not only helped others, but myself as well. 

But it also has opened my eye to how some people treat each other. Honesty is so precious, yet so rare. Building other up is also very rare. Far too often people wound and leave painful scars in those close to them, because they are not happy with themselves. They are careless and mean, without thinking of how it effects the person their wrath is aimed at. 

Take the time to listen, to think about what your role in any important relationship is. Make sure you are striving to care for others instead of tearing them down. Show them how much you value them, by how you treat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment