Monday, October 18, 2021

BREAD DOUGH

 Yesterday I made bread dough. I started out mashing a potato and feeding some yeast. I like to use just a bit of sweetened condensed milk to help the yeast get frothy. The dough ended getting punched down for hours. Then Lily and Derek shaped the rolls. The egg wash was generously applied for a shiny finish. The smell as they were baking was delightful. I gave each one a bit of butter when they came out of the oven. And they were perfect. 

When I was in high school my boyfriend Kevin would bring his lunch to school every day. His mom made the best yeast rolls ever. He would have several every day filled with yummy sandwich fixings. His mom also made the best cinnamon rolls. Everyone knew her sweet rolls. 

Today as I ate a piece of my potato yeast roll, I could remember the rolls Donna Zollinger made and I was flooded with happy youthful memories. I am glad I made good memories with the kids yesterday. And I am glad for memories from my youth as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment