Wednesday, January 6, 2021

PEN PAL

 I follow an artist on FB, and this morning I saw a post she put out about Pen Pals. I read through several remarks left by people wanting to find and be a new pen pal. I think this is a wonderful thing. 

As a nine year old third grader in 1975, we learned a lot about American history and the country’s bicentennial. One of the things we were introduced to that year was being a pen pal. I had hoped for a pen pal that was a girl my age, from Hawaii. I received a boy who was a bit older then me from Boston. His name was Bryan. Even though my family moved a lot when I was a kid, I kept writing to Bryan. Don’t get me wrong, we probably only exchanged a dozen letters in total, but I really enjoyed it. The last letters I wrote and received were back in my very early twenties. I really have fond memories of this experience. As I read through this FB post, it made me think... I have friends that have been part of my life from our youth that I keep track of on FB, but since we live on different planets, so to speak, we hardly interact. So I think I’ll break out some stationary and write a letter or two. I would also like to try this pen pal option through FB, to make a new friend or two. 

Life is short and we live on a little planet. Reconnecting with old friends and making new friends is good. 

Thank you for the inspiration SB!


No comments:

Post a Comment