Sunday, January 31, 2021

THE MALL

 I went to the local mall yesterday. I have only been to this mall a few times in the years I have lived here. I’m not a real mall girl, heck, I’m not much of a leisure shopper. But I had something I needed and to my surprise it was at the local mall. This mall lay out is like so many malls around the country. Owensboro’s Towne Square Mall no longer has any of its original anchor stores. JC Penney’s is gone, Sears is gone, Macys is gone. All that is left is a handful of big name stores and a handful of local shops. 

I was in Franklin, Tennessee a few months ago and went to the Cool Springs Galleria. That spot was magical. I went with a purpose and ended up window shopping at stores I hadn’t been to in years (like Williams Sonoma ♥️).

The mall near my office, Eastland Mall, is still thriving. I have been there a few times, but again only with a purpose. I have noticed that if the restaurants just outside the malls footprint are empty, it is a sure sign of decline.

I think the decline of this very Americana institution, “The Mall”, is very sad. 

As a teen in the 1980s, my boyfriend worked at Paradise Valley Mall. My girlfriends and I would frequent that mall before our regular Saturday night out plans. I remember cruising around MetroCenter in a blue convertible Mustang with Rob and Chris. I still love to walk Biltmore and Scottsdale Fashion Parks when I visit Phoenix. High class and delightful! 

I must admit, I am part of the decline. I do find it easier to shop on line for most things. But perhaps I will make more of an effort to frequent the Malls, I think it would be a shame to lose some of the glorious malls we have nationwide.

I do look forward to visiting the Mall of America in Minnesota!

 šŸ›šŸ›šŸ›


No comments:

Post a Comment