Tuesday, March 18, 2014

MEXICAN BLANKETS

I remember going places in my grandparents camper. It was one of those campers that fit on the bed of their truck. It was a very nice camper. My brother and I loved it. I only remember one or two of the places we went, but I think we must have done quite a bit of traveling in that camper. I remember how the table dropped down into a bed, and how the best place to be was up in the loft. I remember grandma had these huge roll pillows. Us kids loved them. They were over sized and not really good for anything but they were fun. I still hope to make one or two someday, just to have. Grandma also had Mexican blankets in the camper. I only remember using them there, probably due to living in Phoenix and not needing something so warm most of the time. But I remember they were brightly colored, scratchy and warm. I loved them. 

I know I went to Mexico as a child, but I have never been as an adult, just never gotten around to it I guess. But I have a little shopping list, that I have carried around for the past 20 some years, for when I do make it there: Mexican blankets and Vanilla. (I think Mexican Jumping Beans were on the list prior to that, but I outgrew that request.) 

This past week I was in Prescott with a friend, and as we did a little window shopping I stumbled upon Mexican blankets. To my surprise they weren't scratchy. My friend asked why I would want those. I told how they have been on my list for forever and I just had to have one. But being a good friend, I was talked out of making the purchase for $18.95. It wasn't wool, it was cotton, it was small....and why would you want something that looked like that anyway? They don't go with anything I own. This was all true, and I left without buying anything.

As the day past, we did more window shopping in Old Town Prescott, I found another shop that had Mexican blankets! They were still smaller than I had hoped, made of cotton, not wool, but this time they were $10.00 each or 3/$25.00!!!! I selected my favorite three and happily marched to the counter. My dear friend was sure I had lost my mind, but I was a Very Happy Girl!!!
I brought them home, ran them through the wash with plenty of those Downy Unstopables and they are still sitting folded on my couch. I just like seeing them there. Almost like a right of passage. I think grandma would in a silly way be proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment