Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Night Blues

I saw this article as I read through a blog posted by Dr. Weil. (He is one of my favorite reads, lots of common sense and voodoo magic I do believe!!) The article touches on a area that I do not have an issue with, but a couple of my children do. It's a good read. If you struggle with this, or if a family member does, it may be helpful.
My kids have had an issue with it since they were young. We would always make sure they were prepped and ready for the school week; homework complete, backpacks ready, school clothes ready, lunches prepped, water bottles filled, breakfast foods at the ready. And we would talk about the schedule for the upcoming week. So there were limited surprises and they were aware of things to look forward to.
They still get apprehensive some weeks. But it is rare to end up in a panic attack any longer. Cookie had a tough Sunday night a week ago. To the point that she called me on her way to school Monday morning and said she wasn't going to make it and needed the day off. We talked, she went, the day was fine. Both my younger children seem to have a tough time on the Sunday night that they come back home from their weekend away. It's like they can't get enough of home; they are almost silly as they, sort of, reacquaint themselves with home.
I see the Sunday night blues in my kids the most on the Sunday nights that we have shared a great weekend together. I asked them why. My son said that they love the feeling of being home and having fun, even if its a clean the house weekend. But that at the end of our weekend (they live with me, but spend every other weekend with their father) not only do they have to go back to school and the real world, but they know that at the end of the school week they don't have our weekend to look forward to. We talked about how they can make their other house more like home. They said it's more a feeling than anything else. (I knew that, I feel it too. We love our home, sharing it together. All the friends love to be at our home too. They all seem very comfortable here, even though our tv is small!)
On the Sunday nights that are the toughest, or on any night that is hard for them, my kids still ask me to sing to them. I know what songs they want to hear. I know it's the need to feel safe and loved and okay. And I hope that through out their lives, as Sunday night blues happen, they always will want that feeling of home.

**I'm having a mommy moment!**

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03225/Overcoming-the-Sunday-Night-Blues.html


No comments:

Post a Comment