Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A FRIENDS CHARACTER

Sometimes things happen that are completely out of character and we need to step back and watch it evolve. If we rush to fix it we may miss the "Aha" moment. And in doing so we may miss so much more!
I received a text from one of my friends today. We don't chat all the time, but we catch up on a regular basis. Although he likes to tell me that I don't know him at all, I think I know him rather well. So when the first couple of texts came in I was pretty sure I could pinpoint his mood; over worked, stressed, overflowing plate and way too much Mr Nice Guy! That fits him much of the time!
As the texts progressed I realized he was incoherent of the words I sent. He just needed to be heard. He was venting, saying things he needed to say out loud (well even text can be heard loud and clear). The more texts i received, I started to panic. The things my friend was saying were so out of character, so hard and pointed. He isn't like this, even when he vents about his ex, he is never harsh,
So as the texts came in, aimed at me, but not for me, I thought 1. What does he think I have done. 2. Is he driving drunk...it's far too early in the day. 3. Has someone taken his beloved iPhone...... If any of these options were correct, I needed to make sure he was alright.
When he answered my call. He sounded just like my friend, but as I pressed the issue, out came the story behind the texts! I knew this particular soap opera drama from our past conversations. And yes it had escalated to a point that had pushed my friend to a defensive point. I have not known him to reach this point. And rather than jumping in to aid and fix, I silently listened.
As I did, not only did I hear the drama that was faced, but also the feeling, the friendship with the drama patient, and the remedy that he was going to use to stave off the issue.
This man has been there for others when ever there is a need. He gives the advise of a counselor, and the wisdom of a Guru. But today he gave me something more. He let me be there for him.
Sometimes things happen that are totally out of character, and maybe that's when we see who our friends really are.
I know this friend, better than he thinks I do.....he has earned his Super Hero status in my book, by always being a friend. But today he let me be his friend!
Thank you SM.


1 comment:

  1. The rest of the story: My friend took a stand yesterday, he held his ground. Enough Mr Nice Guy. Today he rearranged his life to help someone. That's just the kind of friend he is! Great Character!!

    ReplyDelete