Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Celebrate Success



My son wants his license. He has been driving for over a year, on a learner's permit. He is a very good driver.
My rule has always been that if you are going to be a responsible licensed driver, you pay for your own insurance.
So for Mark, his grades had to be brought up, so he could get a job, so he could pay for his insurance, so he could get his license. Well, as all young people, when there is a will there is a way. His grades improved, he got a job and he went to take the driving test. Due to a wicked instructor and a three point turn, Mark failed the test.
My son has cause to need his license next week. So today we went to practice that three pointer. At the MVD, there was another youth practicing the same three point trick. As the girl repeatedly tried the move and came up short, Mark watched and analyzed. As the girl succeeded, Mark said, "I want to cheer for her!"
I wonder, what the world would be like if we cheered for each others successes, both large and small.
My son practiced the turn over and over. He got it down! There in the empty parking lot, next to the Sheriffs department, I cheered! I did the happy mom dance. I celebrated his success.
We will go back in a day or so to let him redo the driving test.
(I tried that wicked three point turn, there in the parking lot, with the black cones marking my goal. And you know what.... Gosh darn... It's a good thing I already have my license, because I sure couldn't make it between those stupid cones.)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: