Tuesday, July 20, 2021

SOMEONE TO LISTEN

 A man came into my office the other day. He was nice, a happy guy. I’ll be honest, I don’t even remember what information he was looking for. But after I helped him with what ever he stopped in for, then he started to talk.  

He told me about his first wife, the crazy one. Then he told me about the woman he fell in love with. How they went places and did things and how she was the light of his life. One afternoon after she got home from work he asker her what she wanted to eat. She said she didn’t know  what did he want? He said oh no, we aren’t playing that game. She went to change and started dinner. When she came into the kitchen he said “Get the hell out of my kitchen! You gave no input, so you get what I make.” She knew he was teasing so she when to sit in her recliner. When dinner was ready he went to get her. But she had passed away from a heart attack there in her chair. He told me about the little sister of a friend he grew up with who he hadn’t seen since they were kids, and how she called him out of the blue a couple years after his second wife died. She said she had thought about him out of nowhere and felt like she needed to give him a call. They got together sometime later and after a while became Mrs number three. He told me how she was adventurous and loved to go places and do new things. He told me about the fun they had. She was on her way home not long ago and driving through the last intersection on the way, someone ran the red light and killed her. My heart went out to this man. He told me about the trip he is planning, no real timeframe, just him and his dog heading out. As he left he asked if I had any frienemies that I wanted to introduce him too. He said with his luck, she’d be dead in six months. He tried to make it funny, but how could it be? As he left he turned and asked me “Who’s going to save me this time?” I told him that I think he will save himself. He thanked me for my help and he left.

I think he just needed someone to listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment