Friday, January 12, 2018

Redecorating

Two and a half decades ago, the Velez family lived in the house on the other side of the street from us. Our daughters went to school together, we we were very good friends. I loved my neighbors. We were in and out of each others homes often. When the Velez family moved I was sad to see them go.
Shortly after, a single woman moved into the house. She was widowed and had made a new life for herself. I remember being invited to her home, and upon entering I was in awe at the difference I saw.  The house was the same, no difference to the structure. But the inside had been transformed so completely that I would not have recognized it as the same home if I did not know better.
I shared my astonishment with my new neighbor. She said that her new home was much different than her past, but she felt the need to create a new environment, fitting her current life.
My new neighbor was probably ten years older than I am now; I was in my late 30s then. I have thought about that concept many times over the years. I have no desire to redecorate my home. (I really like my things.) However, I think the concept can be used in our personal lives. As we continue to change and evolve as the person we are, updating our life plan, like our decor, can help to ensure that we are comfortable and secure in our own skin. Making changes and branching out helps us to be happy; to stay out of self defeating ruts and helps to keep us balanced. If we stay with what worked once, but no longer does, we become stagnant and unhappy. Here is to redecorating our lives!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment