Monday, January 22, 2018

Pausing For A Moment

I received a call from the daughter of a client this morning. My client had planned a trip to Hawaii this month. Three weeks ago she came in to go over the final travel documents. She was so excited. We had chosen resorts for her to stay at that I had been to, that I knew she would love. Three days before the trip she called me and said she needed to cancel. She told me that a year ago she had been diagnosed with cancer, but that she had been doing really well.
Until December.
I cancelled the trip, I worked to get her as much back as possible. (I advise everyone to take out travel insurance because you never know what is in the future... but she had not wanted it.) We spoke last week, she said she didn't have the energy to get off the couch. But as soon as she was stronger they were thinking about going for a short trip, somewhere warm. My heart hurt for her. But this morning when I spoke to her daughter, my heart broke. Her mom had passed away over the weekend. She said it was faster than anyone had anticipated. But that is how her mom would have wanted it.

Within hours I received a text from my friend Dave. His father had passed this morning. And although he said that this was expected, it happened far too quickly. Dave has family to grieve with, but it is still hard, it is still painful.

My heart breaks.What do you say? I do not think there are correct words in the English language to say what we feel.

I remember the feeling of loss when family members and friends have passed away. It makes you want to hug your kids and tell your special someone that you love them. We all know we are going to die, we all know that every one of us will die. But somehow, each time it is still painful, each time it is still hard.
The unpredictability is so difficult for me to comprehend.
Today was tough. My heart hurts and I need a hug. I don't like death.

No comments:

Post a Comment