Sunday, June 16, 2024

MILES and MILES

I took a drive today. I left my sons place at about 7am. I drove areas my kids grew up in, areas I grew up in. I drove through Peoria, Glendale, North Phoenix, Scottsdale and Paradise Valley. I was happy to see that The House of Rice was still in business, even though it was too early to go explore. There were people playing soccer and doing tai chi. Then I headed out to Fountain Hills.
I almost ran over a Road Runner, they are beautiful and fast. 
I saw signs for wild horses and elk, but didn’t see any. 
I drove through Tonto National Forest then up to Payson, I loved watching the topography change. And as the desert changed to high desert; pines and aspen trees, my heart did the desert dweller happy dance. For me it’s always been about the green, I have always longed for trees. And even though the sky was completely blue, not a cloud in sight, I still caught a whiff of dew on the creosote brush, the mesquite, paloverde and the ocotillo. Absolutely one of my favorite smells. 
The drive took me on about 225 miles of desert highways. Some having 7% downhill grade. I may have a bit of Mario Andretti in my blood line, I was hitting 95 mph as I took those highways, at one point I wondered if all four tires were on the road as I took a turn. 
It was nice to see some areas I haven’t seen in so so long. And reconnect with my roots.
I had a lovely time! Glad I had the opportunity to do a self guided tour of my hometown. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment