Saturday, September 23, 2017

Something I Never Imagined

Last September, two of my Kentuckiana kids set the date for their wedding. They had been talking about it for a year or so, and finally set the date. An October wedding would be great! My inner mom was thinking "How do you get everything ready in a month?" But they are millenials and have their own way of doing things. Since both their mothers live in other states, I tried to be the supportive cheerleader of sorts. I talked about cakes and flowers and dinners and reception ideas. They showed me their thoughts and plans. And things started to pull together quickly. Which was good since there wasn't a lot of time. One day about 4 weeks to the date, the cute couple asked me to marry them. Officiate A Wedding!  
Now, I can help with the dress, and the dinner and the decorations. But I can't do that! I suggested others I felt would fill that roll better. I gave all the reasons I didn't think I was the right MAN for the job. But they hugged me and said they thought I was perfect for this job.... I drug my feet, hoping they would see the error of their thoughts and find someone more qualified. They all but signed me up themselves. So, I did go online and become an ordained minister through the Universal Life Church!!
I am official, I even got a certificate! 
I had hoped they would write their own vows. But planning and orchestrating a wedding and reception in a month didn't leave a lot of time to ponder. So I gave a great deal of thought and planning into what should be said. I love them, and even though our thoughts on marriage differ I wanted to make this perfect for them. 
When the date arrived, everything was ready. The wedding party was small, close friends and family.
These were my close friends and family too. So I took a deep breath and I said all the words I had written. We all smiled, a few of us cried, we laughed and they kissed. 

I am thankful for this experience, thankful for the opportunity to share in the history of these young people. They are my Kentuckiana kids, and I love them. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment