Sunday, November 17, 2019

5 Years

November 17th
Five years ago today was a life lesson for me.
It snowed the night before, and I woke to the most beautiful winter landscape.
The Kentucky hills were covered in white. It was my first snowy morning.
I loved everything about it!
Then in my best winter wear.... I’m a girl from Phoenix, so my best winter wear was lacking,
off to work I went. The roads had been cleared before I left, a blessing I’m sure.
But little did I know that black ice is a thing. I soon found it to be super scary.
The narrow two lane country road came to a sharp curve where the overhanging trees dripped melted snow on the road as the freezing wind turned it to ice.
I remember driving slowly, but when I hit that ice my Tahoe had a mind of its own. It slid this way then that, then spun around before hitting the ditch and rolling over.
I learned that you should always keep your handbag closed so it doesn’t empty all over your cars interior. I learned that you should keep your cell phone somewhere where it can’t go missing. I learned that seatbelts work, even when you are hanging upside down. I also learned that strangers are often the biggest blessing in a very scary event.
I will never forget the events of that day or the people who took care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment