Sunday, September 18, 2016

BANANAS

About 12 years ago 
I had an allergic reaction 
when eating a banana. 
I had never had a problem before that.
 The banana was the only thing
 I had eaten, so there was no question 
that the reaction had come from the fruit. 
It had taken three Benadryl  pills 
to calm the reaction. 
I also had similar reactions to avocado 
and fish in that time frame. 
So, I just avoided those things 
from there forward. 
It was so scary and sad.
  
Recently however, 
I had yogurt for breakfast while on a trip. 
The first bite told me 
"This isn't strawberry yogurt, 
this is strawberry banana!"
 So I quickly 
read the ingredient list. 
It was a good brand of yogurt, 
so I was sad to learn it had real bananas 
and not just banana flavoring in it. 
At that point, 
I tossed out the yogurt. 
Then I waited to see 
if there would be any repercussions. 
I always keep several 
Benadryl pills with me at all times, 
just in case I ever have 
another scary reaction. 
But nothing happened! 

In talking to my daughter a while later, 
I told her of this happening. 
(She panicked, 
she had been with me the day 
the banana tried to kill me, 
it was scary for her as well.)
I told her that I was going to give 
the yellow fruit another try. 
She made me promise 
that I wouldn't try consuming one 
while I was alone. 

Just the other night 
I was having dinner with friends,
when I noticed bananas on the counter. 
I asked if I could have one,
 then I put it on my plate. 

My friend Kim saw me do this thing, 
and knowing of this scary banana allergy, 
questioned my logic. 
I told her the new development, 
and produced two pink Benadryl pills
 from my wallet.

 I had the first tiny taste,

I waited several minutes 
to see if there would be any reaction. 
And there wasn't! 
So, I had some more. 
Then some more!

It took me about an hour 
to finish that banana, 
but I wanted to make sure 
there was no allergic reaction. 

I am pleased to report that all went well. 
I had no negative reaction 
to the delightful tropical fruit! 

I can't tell you how delicious it was, 
like tasting one for the first time. 
It was so amazingly yummy! 

Bananas are now on my grocery list! 
I also think I will pick up some 
salmon and an avocado just to try! 
I am very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment