Thursday, April 21, 2016

Alton

I met a man yesterday who wants to take a train ride to Arizona. He told me of his research and his wishes. We talked about his travels. I told him where I am from, and he asked lots of questions. He asked me why I am here, and I told him. He told me a story of when he was a little boy:
When he was five, he and his dad took the train from their home to Kentucky. They were going to see his grandmother. When they got off the train, they hitchhiked for a bit, then they walked a gravel road. He said it was early morning when they were heading up the hill on that dusty gravel road. He asked me if I had seen how the dust from the road just hovers over the farmers fields, real low and misty like. I told him I had. He said that's what it was doing that morning. He said the ditches on both sides of the road were growing green brush and wild flowers, he said the air was crisp and full of the sound of Whippoorwills. (He had me google whippoorwills so we could hear them. They are charming) He told me how the little birds would just sit on the road. He said the sun was just coming up over the hill and the smell of Honeysuckle was beautiful. His dad picked him up onto his shoulders. Alton, with tears in his eyes, said "It was my Zippitty do da day. I had everything I needed in my world, I had my Dad. And I have never seen anything more beautiful than that morning."
He told me he understands my love of Kentucky. We agreed there is just no place more perfect. He asked me to marry him, I told him my man would probably not agree to that. But I thanked him for sharing his memory and for sharing my love of Kentucky. I'm not sure he's going to Arizona, but I hope he never forgets that morning in Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment