Wednesday, April 10, 2024

LEARNING SOMETHING NEW

I like to learn something new all the time. I read “Walter Conkrite” type news each morning. Fact based, emotional and political party free. I read a lot of information about a lot of different subjects, I listen to TED Talks and I listen to a verity of different people. (A very wise man told me to read the news every day so I would have something intelligent to speak to others about. Thank you Rob Romney)
Yesterday I learned something I never anticipated, it went against every marble in my head. So I googled it, I read, and read some more. I found out that what I thought was true my entire life was wrong. I’m 57, that’s a lot of years to be wrong! 
Did you know that your eyes, without the assistance of special cameras, cannot see the colors of the northern lights… the aurora borealis?
After hearing this, and reading everything I could find, I felt totally deflated. If this thing, that I thought was true and “unwavering”, is not at all true, then what other beliefs are also obscured? 
I found out that something about the rods and cones in our human eyes, being unable to capture the colors. So in-fact, all we can see with the naked eye are shades of white to silver to grey and possibly green. I knew that there are better and best places to see this phenomenon, but I never knew that you cannot truly see all the glory and beauty of the lights on your own. 
My bubble is burst. 


No comments:

Post a Comment