Friday, November 20, 2015

Car Stuff and the Men I Love

I left for work the other morning....only to find that my car wouldn't start. I know very little about vehicles, other than the basics. Mine is GREEN!

So I called AAA, and they sent a guy out to check my battery. He said it isn't the battery, but it might be the fuel pump. This man had a ring on everyone of his well groomed fingers...so I didn't take him for a mechanic.

I regrouped. I called my guy, I texted my son and all the people I know here in Kentuckiana. I got a bunch of ideas where I could take it. And I even have a sweet friend who was willing to pick me up and help me get a rental.

The tow truck finally got there and the drivers guy's name was Cody; he was young and very tall. I thanked him for coming and he asked me what was wrong with it. I told him it wasn't the battery. He asked a couple questions and I handed him the key. He tried to start it, and again it sounded like it was going to start, but didn't. He asked a couple more questions, then went back to him truck. He brought back what looked like the extension handle for some tool. He got on his knees in the rain and dirt and used the tool to tapped on the fuel tank... three times. Then he turned the key again and the car started. I looked at him with amazement and disbelief. I asked him if that tool was a magic wand. He said no, and explained that sometimes the fuel pump just gets stuck. He explained some other boy sounding stuff too...don't ask me to repeat it. I asked him for a recommendation of where to get my 'Green Giant' looked at and he gave me the name of a reliable place. (He did turn my car off and back on several times to rest my fears.)

I went off to work. When I got there I turned the car off and back on to just make sure again.

I texted my dear friend Bill in Phoenix, who has worked on my car extensively. I told him what had happened and asked for his input. He reminded me that we had had the fuel pump replaced at the dealership. So I called my Chevy guy 'Alex' in AZ. Then I talked to Bill again, he asked if the fuel pump was still under warranty. I said Alex said it was a life time warranty! I love that Bill looked out for me way back in 2013.
So I called the local dealership and talked to Rich.  He asked all the details, and I answered as best I could. To which he replied "Sounds like the starter to me." I pannicked. Every other man I had talked to said it sounded like the fuel pump.

My man reminded me that the starter had been replaced last year after I tumbled on the ice. (I had forgotten that was one of the many things that was replaced.) So I called the Chevy guy in AZ again, and Alex said "The guy at your local dealership is trying to take you. When you go in next week, call me, I will talk to him. I'm here for you." OMG Amazing.

At the end of the day, I can truly say that I hate boy stuff. But I am so grateful for the man in my life who do all that boy stuff and take care of me. For Cody and his magic wand, for KC and his never ending love for me, for Bill and his forsight, for Alex who is going to get the very best review ever, and my son who kept checking on me to make sure I was okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment