Thursday, September 26, 2013

To Listen

I listened to Greg, a medical associate, explain the roll of a psychologist. "Someone to listen"

psychologist evaluates, diagnoses, treats, and studies behavior and mental processes.[1] Some psychologists, such as clinical and counseling psychologists, provide mental health care, and some psychologists, such as social or organizational psychologists conduct research and provide consultation services.


I liked the definition.
I have seen counselors sporadically throughout my life. In the beginning I dealt with someone else's issue and how it effected my life. Then later in life I had hoped to learn the tools needed to make my marriage work. After the divorce I looked for tools to help my children through the next steps.

Sometimes you just need someone to listen, sometimes you need someone to hear what you are not saying. Sometimes you need someone to get inside your mental/emotional closet and clean it out. Or burn it down...both work.

I am seeing Tom currently, once every couple of weeks. He says he likes to "Hear the update on my saga!" I like that he give clarity and input. He gives legal advise and emotional support. He tells me when my thought process is squed. He shares life lessons and practical applications for the issues at hand.

He isn't trying to fix my issues, he isn't diagnosing my dilemmas. He is just there to listen, to be my hall checker.

I am grateful for Greg's advice, I am grateful for Tom's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment