Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Castle





I grew up here in Phoenix, I love the Valley. I never knew how much I loved the mountains until I moved out of state, to South Texas, where there were NO mountains. How do you know where you are if you don't have these wonderful landmarks?
When I was a kid I would get up early to draw the McDowell Mountains with pastels. I have always enjoyed early mornings, but I totally fell in love with those mountains that summer.
To me, the boulders of 'Tom's Thumb' looked like a fairytale castle. I was a romantic, even back then, enough to know it was mine. And I didn't have to share it's secrets with anyone. I have always remembered my enchanted stories about my 'Castle on the Mountain'.
Now as I drive to work each morning, and the 101 pulls me east, I look beyond the hurry and have-to, and there, above it all, is my castle.
I was never good with pastels, or drawing for that matter. But I can tell you that the rocky McDowell Mountains hold secrets and beauty, and fairytales.
It's one of my favorite things; a 'Happy Place'!
(I can also tell you that my view of my Castle, from the east bound lanes of the 101, is made all the more wonderful because you are gazing over the Fortress of Solitude. But that is a whole other fantasy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment