Sunday, November 12, 2023

GOOD FOOD?

It was brought my attention last night, over dinner, that I am highly critical of restaurant cuisine. And I realized at that moment that that is so very true. 
I don’t mean to be, but when go out to eat, I would like to think I am getting a superior meal than what I can toss together at home. 
Sadly that is very rarely the case. Last night went out for Mexican food. The wait staff was great, but the food was sub par. 
In all fairness, I understand that the Midwesterners may never have had real Mexican food, and maybe their palette is too sensitive for the bold flavors of authentic Mexican, but come on. 
The salsa they serve with chips is tomato sauce from a can, it’s not tasty. Then let’s look at the side of beans and rice. The rice was red, but had no flavor. The refried beans were totally tasteless. No flavor at all… nothing. 
I ordered a cheese enchilada with onions (my favorite) and a beef tamale. The shredded beef in the tamale was tender but not seasoned, the masa was far too dense and again could they have added even a bit of salt? The true test for my opinion of a Mexican food establishment is their sauces.  Enchilada sauce should be worthy of eating on its own. This was not. 
If you had been blindfolded and fed this meal without knowing what it was, there is no way your tastebuds could have deciphered it was Mexican.  
I know, I know. I need to put my money where my mouth is. But all I  wanted was some Mexican food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment