Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Dites-Moi Tell Me


My darling daughter sent me this by text. I glanced at it and replied, "What is this?"
She said  "Perhaps you should hum it, like you use to when I was little and going to sleep."
"I know you know the tune. You sing it perfectly." 
"Took me a while, but I found it. :) it's very pretty, albeit simple when translated."




South Pacific, 1958.  Dites-Moi sung by Ngana and Jerome.
(I remember my mother singing the song when I was a little girl. I don't speak French, I didn't know the words. I have always sung it the way I remember it from my childhood. I have many of the words wrong. 
But in my head it is still beautiful. And I would sing it to my babies, and even when they got older, at night before bed, it was one of our favorites. I hope my babies sing it to their babies, its such a tender song.)

No comments:

Post a Comment