Wednesday, October 23, 2013

136 Miles Drive

I love Phoenix, it will always be my home town.
I took a drive Saturday. I have taken this same drive many times before, seen the same things many times. But lately I am reminded to be appreciative of them all. 
Cookie went with me on my drive. She manned the stereo and sang along as the wind thrashed her hair. When life gets a bit stress full she asks for a drive at night. She loves to see the city lights. Just like her mamma I guess.
The thermometer said it was 90 degrees and here in Phoenix we call that Fall! The freeway was packed, there was a lot of traffic for a Saturday afternoon. I drove with the windows down and my hair pulled up, my curls were blowing at my sun glasses, but it felt great. Nickelback was on the stereo, loud enough to be heard over the traffic and the screaming wind. 
Our drive took us through town, through the tunnel, from one end of town to the other, then out of town as well. I have always loved a drive around town, it's comfortable, grounding.
I love the mountains that surround the valley. I love seeing the skyline, the old and new buildings, the landmarks. I want to take photos as I drive, so I can keep the view. The sight of Camelback mountain from Firebird Lake is Wonderful. 
Phoenix has grown so vast in my lifetime; I remember watching Metro Center being built, I remember Ledgend City, I remember when the outskirts of town weren't so far out and farm land stretched for miles.
As I drove past Sky Harbor I watched a plane take off. I hoped that there was someone on there that was as excited as I was when I headed to Kentucky. I hoped that they would find everything they were looking for, like I did. 
As I headed back home, I noticed the drop in temperature as I drove past the few remaining bits of farmed land on the west 101. The smell of farming has always made me happy; it's cool and sweet. I always ask my kids if they know whats growing in the fields, and surprisingly to me, they do. I see that Phoenix is their home town too!


No comments:

Post a Comment